Sunday, January 12, 2014

V for Vino

What a fun filled saturday here in Verona!

To start our day we had a typical Italian breakfast at Ippopotamo, which served sweet croissants and  meat with cheese. The croissants were my favorite.

We then went with the group to see our school, Idea Verona. It was so cute, I can't wait for my first day on monday! 
Before our lunch, we had a drink at a near by bar. It is typical to have a spritz (wine with sparkling water and alcohol, ours was orange flavored) before or after a meal, so we did as Veronese do! we also had some snacks along with it. SO MUCH FOOD! I have yet to feel hungry, well really I have yet to feel not full. It's like Thanksgiving 24/7. 
After the spritz we went to lunch at a cute spot near our school. We had about 5 courses of food this time… a bit more manageable than the first night, haha. There was pesto pasta, beef lasagna, veggie lasagna, meat and bread, mozzarella with oregano and olive oil, then to finish, a cake-like dessert, along with endless wine (who could forget that?) It was more than filling and more than delicious! 

Barely able to get up from all the food and wine, Claudio began a tour of the city. I was so excited to see new parts of the city and become more familiar with it! Some of my favorite parts of the tour were the adorable flats around the city. This was one of my favorites: 

We also saw the famous Areana where they perform Operas and such. I will hope to be attending a few during my stay!

We also stopped by Juliet's balcony, it was so cool! I've seen this spot in movies but never thought I would see it in person. There where thousands of locks on the gate, people were signing the walls and wishing for good luck in love. 

Verona has quite a few rivers in the city, we went over on of the oldest bridges called "Pointe Pieta" or stone bridge. It is far in the distance in this picture, but the hill in the background and clock tower on the right make this landscape seem so serene. 

Heading back to the city center, we had time to travel down the many streets of shops. There were endless shoes stores, designer shops and souvenir stores. Every girls dream. But along the way, you can expect so much history lying below… literally 2 meters below. This famous gate was an entrance to a Roman city over 2000 years ago! It's incredible how well it survived and not only was the gate still standing, but there was a peak to the underground of these Roman ruins for spectators to look at from above. 


Before dinner we had a little break and my roommates and I decided to go to Eurosbar to get groceries for the week. After only a day and a half it was pretty obvious that wine runs like water here and once we finally saw the cost of a bottle, it made sense was it was more available compared to water… It's cheaper, a bottle is only 1.79 euro. I can get used to that, for sure. 

To end the night we went out with some of Verona University's students that are a part of a program that throws parties and get togethers for international students. We did a bit of a bar crawl and had some pretty fun drinks! We ended at a harvard-type bar that felt like home. Needless to say the day was very eventful and i'm loving it all! 





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Lindsay! It's Moe! It is so fun to see all the places you've been and all that you are doing! I've been to Cinque Terre (5 islands) in Italy, it is like a vacation in Florida (at least I think so even though I've never been to Florida). In short it is heavenly. I highly recommend going there and walking the five Islands by foot and then taking the train back, it is a wonderful adventure. Plus you can see France from there!

If you don't see anything but the Cliffs of Moore in Ireland, then you have done just fine. Of course stopping by the Temple Bar in Dublin is never a bad choice. If you have time, ask around to see if you can find a place where there is live "Trad" music, that is short for traditional music, those are the best "sessions". Galway was a lovely Green and an outdoor shopping area, very fun place to shop and hear street performers. In Dublin there is also St James Gate with the Guiness Brewery! Take a tour and get a free pint of Guiness at the top! The wneitre building is shaped like a Guiness glass! Trinity collage in Dublin is also a famous place to go, we actually stayed there in a dorm, you might want to look into that . . ? Could be fun! You may have already noticed but they don't have ketchup in Europe usually so if you order fish and chips be sure you like vinegar ( I know I do). If you go to Northern Ireland you must see Giants Causway which is one of the seven wonders of the world. Belfast is also where they built the Titanic, if you are interested to see that. The people are so nice there and willing to help if you get lost.You might also ask when you get there the best thing not to miss before you leave. The Irish love their country and will brag about something you should see. :) I hope this helps! Much love!

Moe

Lindsay Ryan said...

Hi Moe!
Its so good to hear from you! I am planning my easter break to go to Ireland and I will be in Dublin, Galway and Cork so I will have to make sure I try to make it to some of the spots you suggested. Also, we will be going to Cinque Terre as well and I am so excited because I have heard it it gorgeous. Thanks for the tips and for reading my blog. Im sure some of my pictures from Ireland and Cinque Terre will bring back some fond memories from your travels. Take care!

Love, Lindsay